View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #2053
el sergento
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross K View Post
el sergento,

Re TGK specs query:

I've done some digging around because I've been a bit in the dark myself TBH.

Well, all I can really say is... and this is from other peoples experiences too... they are weighted from 249-253, with a balance around 379 mm, but thats the hair pin without lead and sillicone. I think its without the grommets and pallets too. A few others have affirmed they got theirs with the same specs as retail and yet it swings different, a slightly heavier SW. One thing I certainly agree on is the flex seems a bit softer on the TGK than retail PP - one TT member had his on an RDC machine and it said 63 RA (retail of course being in the 66 RA region.)

Re my TGK PP, I intend to remove the lead. Yesterday I ended up taking off all the lead on my retail PP @ 12 and I enjoyed spending a day with it really grooving and working my stroking my strokes. Two days ago, I got annihilated by an excellent player and among the lessons I took from my thrashing was I'm simply playing these frames with too much lead on the tip. So, I've had it with a static weight of 344g and a balance of 32.3cm (this does include overgrip and strung with poly) for months. My retail was at a very similar weight/balance minus a gram or 2 less @ 12. However, I think because the starting point for the frames are very different even though the static weight and swing weight are pretty similar, the weight distribution is a bit different. Furthermore, the silicone in the handle makes it feel different. More muted. The layup is different. The stringbed somehow feels/performs more uniformly. Etc. So, I don't know... could you say only the mould is the same?

Annnnyhow, as I said, I'm now looking at no lead on the retail PP and I intend to do similar with the TGK. I may add it back in future, but we'll see. I learnt this week that despite the additional 'hurt' you can get with lead @ 12, for me, it's simply not worth the extra weight. Trust me, against this 5 level player, I was made to feel every gram.

Sorry if some of that's that slightly confusing, el (I'm not a natural when it comes to specs geekery), and there does seem to be some conflicting opinions and indeed a general lack of definite checkable facts or data re these TGKs.

R
Ross, you're a real pal, thanks for digging up that info.

The TGK PP is the only frame that could reignite my R-holism. Just the thought of having so much freedom to experiment is intoxicating.

Regarding lead removal on the retail PP, I actually find that without the lead at the hoop that I'm hitting closer to the natural sweet spot of the racquet, closer to the center of the frame. As a result, despite the reduction in SW, I'm getting more power because the PP's dense string pattern causes some power drop towards the top of the hoop.

Another reason to love NXT, you know exactly where you're hitting the ball.

Last edited by el sergento : 06-26-2011 at 03:50 PM.
el sergento is offline   Reply With Quote