View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
travlerajm
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomie View Post
Good questions, although he did state that its the natural pendulum action, hence why g is used.

My question is: The sample for the data seems pretty small. Only data from 2005 onward was used (Or was it just for 2005?). Since then the top five players has pretty much consisted of the same small group of people. So there is a big chance that the dip in the graph for the top five is simple coincidence.
I agree that the sample size in this thread is indeed small, but If you look at my MR^2 data thread, where the sample size is large enough to be more statistically robust, there are 8 players within the statistically significant apparent optimal zone of MR^2 = 380-390.

I'll soon post another plot on that thread for MR values, showing that there is a statistically significant apparent optimum zone for MR > 11.75, and that MR > 12.0 appears to be even better.

Only four of the 8 players with 'optimum' MR^2 values have MR values over 11.75: Agassi, Robredo, Gaudio, and Grosjean. All of these 4 were top-5 players under 6' tall with unimpressive serves, ho-hum speed, but exceptionally accurate and reliable groundstrokes that made them top-5 players, so I don't think it is coincidence. Of these 4, only 1 of them has MR value over 12.0: Gaudio. Could it be coincidence that he is the only player on the list from Federer's generation to win a Grand Slam title?

Also, all 6 top-20 players in 'optimum' MR^2 zone are under 6 feet with strength as described for the 4 players mentioned above. Coincidence? One of the other 2 players is Ferrer, a top-5 player who led the tour in % return games won (during the Federer-Nadal era) multiple years! Coincidence?

Last edited by travlerajm : 07-06-2011 at 08:02 AM.
travlerajm is offline   Reply With Quote