View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
hoodjem
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyO View Post
In other words it's not really number of mains but the space occupied by the 12 center mains. As I go past that density into more open spacing I have progressively greater difficulty controlling the ball. As I move below that point I have an easier time controlling the ball (eg PSLGT and AG 100). And along that spectrum spin potential rises or falls and becomes more or less important with head size and power.

It all makes me wonder if there isn't a better measure for string density than total number of mains. Maybe some value such as the ratio of space occupied by the 12 center mains which dominate the sweet spot. As far as I can tell it's that value plus head size and stiffness that best describes how a frame plays...16 vs 18 seems less important in light of the fact that frames with 16 mains can be as precise as those with 18 while some 18 main frames can generate more spin than their 16 main counterparts.
I've been wondering if manufacturers cound not provide us with the spacing of the four central stings (mains and crosses) measured in centimeters, or something like that as a better indicator of spin potential.

Last edited by hoodjem : 07-08-2011 at 06:10 PM.
hoodjem is offline   Reply With Quote