View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
diredesire
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to diredesire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim e View Post
I have an alpha, a gamma, and the gss clamp, and I prefer the gss clamp the most. The alpha clamp is larger plate size, and like you said the gss clamp has stiffer springs, so it holds remarkably well.I keep the alpha with a string in place all the time for its use as a bridge when needed, and the gss clamp for all other uses. The gss is very well made.
Just a note, be sure and keep your starting clamp clean as well as your machines clamps, as after a period of time, I was just cleaning the machines clamps, and not the starting clamps and a set of VS gut slipped through the starter when starting crosses (I now use a different method of starting crosses) .It ended up because of dirty starting clamp, so do not ignore cleaning the starting clamp as well when you clean the machines clamps.
Just a historical note: The "Alpha" clamp that was sold on TW waaaay back was actually an Alpha/RAB clamp, which is the same as the current GSS clamp. The newer Alpha clamp that TW sold a little while back is the current, wider jawed starter with the alpha logo. I also like the GSS/RAB clamp the best. The Alpha is extremely aggressive with extreme holding power. It's a great clamp, but a little overkill and bulky. I'd trust it in excess of 90lbs, but it also can squish strings a little bit.

Mod Qs/Concerns/etc? E-mail me! (please make return/profile e-mail is valid!)
diredesire is offline   Reply With Quote