View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #32
Datacipher
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datacipher View Post
Again, I didn't say they weren't happening. If you really want to be honest, maybe you should go back, take a deep breath, and reread my post. I am telling you that this focus is a waste of time and energy, in regards to improving your game. That has nothing to do with your on-court efforts. If improvement is your primary goal, then I certainly hope you are doing those, and I hope this does not come at the expense of the other. You are asserting it does not. That is good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyO View Post
I'm "asserting" that it does not? How do you know so much about me?
You bolded/colored/underlined the following quotes, which I believed this was you "asserting" that your equipment related activities was not coming "at the expense" of your "on-court" activities.
:
Quote:
I spend far, far more time on the courts than on the forum. I hit just about every day. Serves at the very least, causal/practice sessions with friends/wife 1-2 times per week, and a league match once a week when in season.
You bolded, colored, and underlined the following:
Quote:
Just because YOU are not involved with my on court activities doesn't mean they're not happening. It's really quite rude and arrogant of you to draw the conclusion that because I'm posting technical questions here I'm not developing skills on the court. WOW!!!

Quote:
You're describing my interest in certain details as a "problem". Just how the heck would YOU know if it's inhibiting my development? Have I hit with you enough times for YOU to make that assertion? Do you have amazing powers of telepathy which allow you to see my development from afar?
Quotes please; actually, I don't have amazing telepathic powers, which again, is why I prefer direct quotes. Without them, the rhetoric will go on endlessly.

Quote:
How exactly did you determine it was a waste of time? Are you stalking me? That's pretty creepy.
TimothyO, this kind of stuff is just embarrassing coming from an adult. Come on.

Quote:
Your OP and this massive explanation just drips with arrogant assumptions on your part. You've only seen my posts on a forum dedicated to tennis hardware. From that you assume that's ALL I'm focused on. You have no idea how wrong you are.
This kind of stuff just has no content, and isn't helpful TimothyO.

Quote:
But it took a lot of rapid experimentation to find what I enjoy. And being a technical type I really enjoyed that process! I've enjoyed exploring different types of frames and strings and learning how they work. I've also enjoyed settling on a specific set of specs that really work for me. Now it's just a matter of tiny adjustments and refinements but why does that matter to YOU?

Here's what I've learned about racquets: the better the fit I've achieved between the racquet and my mind/body the better I've played because, at some point, the racquet no longer exists in my mind. There's just my will and the ball and I can put it where I want. Currently the PSLGT does that for me.

When I've tried racquets that don't fit me I'm fully aware of the racquet's presence, it's weight, it's balance, it's string behavior, and it distracts from my playing experience.

In fact, a better player COULD play with anything and not be distracted since they have the skill and experience to play with anything. What I've been doing is finding a seamless link with a racquet that "fits me like a glove" so, as a new player, I can focus 100% on technique and skill development rather than fighting the racquet.
Actually, this is a good point, the mental obstacles can be difficult to overcome, but you certainly do not have to be an advanced player to prevent this mental block from happening. That's largely the point of my first post. Obviously if the racquet is too heavy by far, or too light by far, etc. then it can be a factor, but then, that wouldn't be a "comfortable" racquet for you, would it? In fact, though, I think as time goes by, you'll be amazed the variances one can actually be very comfortable with, if one doesn't dwell on it mentally. It's similar to the studies showing that most players can't feel less than an 11lb difference in string tension.

I suspect even diehard gear tinkerers will agree that much of what you "like" is just based on what you're used to, and a psychological effect. If we stick some lead tape on your racquet, and you don't want it, you'll probably say "wow, that's way too heavy, feels terrible!! can't play!"...on the other hand, had we just given you the racquet to begin with, then after a few months stripped the tape you'd probably say "wow, that's way too light, feelts terrible!!! can't play!!"

One interesting drill we used to do with top juniors, is randomly make them play with different frames....as extreme a variety as we could find. The point being that they needed to be mentally flexible. They learned quickly to adapt to the circumstance. That too, is an interesting thing about your gear tinkering.

Bear in mind that conditions will NEVER be the same. In fact, depending on where you play, variances in temperature, humdity, your own strings stretching, your opponent, the balls, will probably account for FAR more day to day variability than the micro-gear factors you're thinking about. Don't start thinking about them!! LOL

Quote:
It's like trying to learn how to ride a bike that's stuck in 10th gear or too large or too small or too heavy. Could one learn how to ride such a bike? Yes. But what's the point in making it HARDER with ill-fitting equipment?
No. The analogy is not good. As I said, I advocate finding a racquet that is "comfortable" for you. That is not a particularly long or involved process. It is akin to finding a reasonable quality bike, that fits the task, and is the right size. What you are describing is more akin to a defective racquet, and/or one the wrong "size" eg. for juniors, or a grip size 3 sizes too big.

What you are doing, is more akin to buying and trying multiple bikes, worrying about and comparing the number of teeth on the chain. The type of oil you're using, the tread patterns on the tires....and worrying that without perfecting this, learning to ride a bike will be more difficult. I think that if you wanted to learn to ride a bike, my advice would apply best there as well. Do a little research, determine some bikes that are roughly suited to you, try some, pick one that feels comfortable, go ride.

In any case, this kind of "discussion" is all very unsubstantiated analogy rhetoric though.

If you are brave, try this. Print out your OP in this thread....print out some of your other threads....like the one where you suspected TW was ripping you off, and some of the other string threads. Print off my OP in this thread. Go seek out the most advanced open players in your area. Say the 5.5+ players. Ask them what they think of my post. Now I have no idea who these people are. Maybe they will say I'm full of BS. That will make you feel good! Maybe they won't be honest, considering you're right in their face. Who knows? Something interesting for you to try though, since you are interested in getting feedback and info.

Last edited by Datacipher : 08-01-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Datacipher is offline   Reply With Quote