View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #41
Erman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPE84 View Post
LOL, and I'm sure your player was an angel in that whole mess right, Mom?
If she's talking about the same zonals that I was at, there was one team from a section that had 5-6 players call for referees or accuse the opponent of cheating within the first 2-3 games of the first set 3 days in a row. I saw this one kid forget the game score when the court next to there's was arguing for about 15 minutes and the official was trying to settle a dispute on whether a point was game point for one kid or deuce. (ended up playing the entire game over) with the kid that "forgot" the score losing.... again.

I don't think it's the area of the country, I think it was one or two of the top players or leaders on the team being enabled by a coach and parents that read Brad Gilbert's little book about Winning Ugly that fosters the idea, "if you're not cheating, you're not trying" mentality. I like the idea of the zonal tournaments because of the high number of matches that the kids can play with kids from different areas of the country. Naples and Alabama in the past were great, but for some reason it got ugly early and never improved. Oh well, karma is a nasty thing and gamesmanship is not going to elevate anyone's skill set.