View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #10
Bud
Bionic Poster

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Anyone know if apple cider vinegar will do the same trick?
Yes, that's what I'm using. The goal is to buy vinegar with an acetic acid concentration of at least 5%. ACV makes the brew a bit sweeter and fruity tasting

The ratio to make pickling juice is 1 : 1 (vinegar : purified water) with two tablespoons of kosher (or pickling) salt (don't use table salt or anything with iodine) and two tablespoons of sugar. Add more/less sugar and salt to taste, after making the initial batch.

This recipe gives the brine a sweeter pickle taste:

1 cup of purified water
1 cup of organic apple cider vinegar (5% acetic acid) - I use Bragg organic
1-2 tablespoon of organic sugar (more or less to taste)
2 tablespoon of kosher salt
1 tablespoon of pickling spice (optional)

If the resulting mixture is too vinegar heavy, use 8 oz. vinegar to 10 oz. of water. If still too much vinegar go to 12 oz. water.

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan, on low to medium heat, stirring constantly to dissolve all salt and sugar. Pickling spice can be added in the pan or in the container. It can be added loose or within a tea ball (for those who like clear pickle juice). Let cool, pour into container and store in the refrigerator. Make sure to shake gently 1x per day if pickling spices are used.

Take 2-4 ounces with you when you play. If you start to cramp, take a swig and swallow. 1 oz. = a single shot. In my experience, muscle cramping is gone within 30-90 seconds.

**EDITED RECIPE**

This recipe gives the brine a sour dill pickle taste:

1 cup of purified water
1 cup of white vinegar (5% acetic acid)
2 tablespoon of kosher salt
1 tablespoon of pickling spice

Shake container gently 1x per day to disseminate the herbs and juices throughout the brine

Optional:

Fresh dill sprigs (4 qty.)
Clove of garlic (partially crushed)

- - -

I I want just a shot, I use the 2 oz. 5-hour Energy containers.

If I want more, I store it in a 12 oz. Gatorade bottle.

Last edited by Bud : 06-03-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote