View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #17
Bud
Bionic Poster

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennytive View Post
I take one thermotab before leaving for the courts.

I usually play singles for 2 1/2 hours, and have had no cramping. Sip Powerade Zero during changeovers.
Never heard of them... will Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Player View Post
I wonder where you can buy the pickle juice drinks (what stores)..that is the way for me to go. I'd like to try it out as I have the same cramp issues as the OP. I take 250mgs of magnesium at night to replenish that and drink powerade and water on the courts. It has lessened the cramps, but now and then I will still get them.
Why not just make your own like I describe above? It's cheap and you don't waste the pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmverdugo View Post
This is funny, I have never in my life had cramp problems, in fact I can't remember a single time that I actually had a full cramp, sometimes - very few and usually after a couple of hours after I am done playing tennis - I feel the starting of a cramp and then change position or do something to avoid it. The funny thing is that I love to eat things with vinegar and all kind of species, since I was very little I would get home and instead of having a bowl of cereal I would make a salad with lots of vinegar on it or just stop at the grocery store and buy a jar of those canned vegetables that are preserved in vinegar and eat the whole thing watching TV, never thought the vinegar could be the reason of my cramp less life until i read here about the pickle juice. Even these days I could eat a whole jar of pickles watching TV and drink the whole juice as it was a soda or something, actually I have 2 pickle jars at the fridge, I already ate the pickles, just saving the juice
Yes, scientific research is pointing to vinegar as the ingredient which alleviates cramps. As I stated above, my doubles partner takes a tablespoon of mustard since he doesn't care for pickle juice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugazi View Post
I guess a good option is to drink electrolytes and bring along some pickle juice in case that doesn't work. I'll try that next time with your recipe.
That's what I do. I bring about 2 oz. with me when I play in case something starts to cramp.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote