View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #32
Bud
Bionic Poster

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedans Penthouse View Post
Below, a post from 5 years back extolling the virtues of pickle brine.

Bud, a few comments: the magic ingrediant in pickle juice (i.e. brine) isn't so much the vinegar but chloride. To that end, there are a number of "vinegar-less" (naturally fermented) pickle brands ( e.g., www.bubbies.com/prod_pure_kosher_dills.shtml ) that are very effective--Bubblis kosher sour dills are 24-carat kick ***--the brine looks like grey, soapy dishwater! Secondly, I would think twice about using sugar in your recipe as sugar can have a tendency to 'settle' in the tummy. Long story short: I'd suggest the sour-brines (esp. those found in the "refrigerator section" of the store) over sugar-containing "bread & butter" type juice.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showp...9&postcount=20
Recent scientific evidence suggests that vinegar is the ingredient that relieves the cramps. Some people also use mustard packets to immediately stop cramps (again, the vinegar seems to be the key).

I agree with you about the sugar. You can mix in any amount to suit your taste. In my next batch, I'll leave it out. However, you have to remember that you're only using about an ounce of the juice when cramps occasionally strike. That's not enough sugar or salt to even fret over, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Player View Post
I don't think you understand. I have played sports all my life and always dealt with leg cramps no matter what. It sucks man..real bad down here in Florida where the humidity sucks the water out of you.

If it was as simple as water and a banana, this would be a non issue.

tons of Football programs use pickle juice now do to this very reason. It is a rather common solution to leg cramps and so far it has worked for me.

I will put it like this, if I get a calf cramp, I am done. It's time to go home and fire up the xbox or call a Power Playette for a massage.
Agreed. As was stated earlier in the thread, for some people it's not lack of hydration or electrolytes that causes cramping. So drinking more water or eating more potassium is useless.

If you cramp while also imbibing plenty of water and electrolytes then the pickle juice may be for you.

Last edited by Bud : 08-09-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote