View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #24
Bud
Bionic Poster

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
Granted I don't measure each racquet as it comes off the stringer. But adding 10 pounds for a few millimeters? I don't care who the stringer is or what machine they use, that is terrible advice. I have always been told that stringing crosses substantially higher than mains is also bad for the frame. This certainly qualifies as substantial.

And, I also don't randomly add 10 pounds tension to crosses to compensate which screws up a string job just to make the frame look right. Have you ever played with a frame strung with a 10 pound difference between the mains and crosses? That is totally hosed, and IMO, terrible advice. I'm not being a "know-it-all" when I validly criticize that advice. It's terrible advice, it's not solving the original problem, it ruins the feel of a string job, and it results in a terrible end product for whoever was unlucky enough to pay for that string job.

Let me ask you, if you took your frame to someone to be strung say at 60 pounds, would you want them to add 10 pounds on the crosses to "striaghten it out"? How do you think a string job at 60 on the mains and 70 on the crosses would play? Hell, even 55 on the mains and 65 on the crosses?

Again, I simply cannot believe some of the "advice" that is being handed out. I don't think the issue is a couple of millimeters as much as it is telling someone to 'add 10 pounds' or stretch a frame by applying force to it. And FYI, I've strung plenty of Head frames and never seen any noticeable difference in the head shape after stringing.
Then, live with a shorter frame with a rounder head

You speak like a 10 lb. differential between crosses and mains is unheard of and is potentially frame damaging. People string with 10 lb. cross/main differentials all the time. Personally, if a Head frames slightly deforms post-stringing when pulled off the machine, I don't see it as a big deal. Others may not feel the same. I was giving a recommendation on how to prevent it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI View Post
"The problem here is either the mounting system used, or the way in which the frame was mounted.". End of story. Klippermate knows it happens.. they gave me the fix... Stretch the frame. Their head tech gave me the advice.
No, it's not. There are people who string 6 pt. mounting on this board who have also noticed certain head frames are rounder and shorter after being pulled from the machine. The issue sounds more like some people don't notice it or measure the frame length after stringing certain Head frames. If one doesn't notice, it's obviously not going to be an issue.

I've never experienced this phenomenon with any frames other than 3 or 4 Head frames (only) and I've strung 500+ frames on my 2-pt stringer. Coincidence? I'm afraid not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrushing View Post
You're previous post essentially says that a Head Radical can't be strung on a KM w/o compressing the head. A number of friends that I've strung for over the years play Radicals and other listed Head racquets. I am saying that I string them (and have) without compression.

It would surprise me that the folks at KlipperUSA would tell you to purposely stretch a frame. Not denying, just saying that's not the kind of answers I've received over the years when I've had questions.

I can easily understand how compression could occur with a KM. However, if the frame plates are tightened down with the lip edges securely against the racquet frame at the throat and the head, the racquets don't have any room to move. It must move at the top or the throat for compression to occur, in my mind. Of course, the wing nuts on the upward supports must be secured also. My only disaster, probably 15 years ago, happened when I didn't tighten one of the supports.
We've all strung these same frames without them compressing. Nobody said it happens every type we string one. It occurs when the tension and/or stiffness of the main string overpowers the crosses. It simply pulls the head together longitudinally, making it appear slightly rounder. Once you recognize that, then measure the length and you''ll note, the frame is slightly less than 27" long.

Last edited by Bud : 08-10-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote