View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
Tennishacker
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeman10 View Post
First, I like Sock, have watched him for years. But what has rubbed current juniors and parents wrong is all the hubbubb of him staying in school and playing high school tennis. He was able to do that because of great flexibility with the school - most well performing high schools will not let a student miss so much school (then claim a diploma from there) and most tennis kids have to choose. Obviously they were very flexible with Jack as seen by his traveling tournament schedule. I know both the public and private high schools in our area would not allow missing so many days. Also you know he wasn't practicing with the team everyday, Monday-Friday which was also a requirement to play on our high school team, and the reason the USTA tournament kids didn't play high school. Sock came in for a match now and then and to get the titles. So basically, Sock had home schooling through his district. Do not think he was sitting in a class everyday.

Again, it is great that he is rockin' it, but don't buy into all the "went to school" hype. It sets unrealistic expectations on everyone else. It is not realistic to think his schedule was anything like a normal high schooler. He was on the courts from 9-3 everyday like every other top player, not sitting in a classroom. And he wasn't practicing with his HS team either. Just making guest appearances.
You're missing my point. Unless your child is truly a freak of nature, then just keep them in a traditional school.

My daughter is on a scholarship to a D1 Socal school. She went to public school, won two CIF high school championships (similar to state championship) and played all the L1-3 nat'l junior tournaments.

If Sock's high school experience was not "realistic", then how did he graduate with a high school diploma?