View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #22
skiracer55
Hall Of Fame

Lightbulb I've told this story before...

...but I'll tell it again. A bunch more years ago than I like to think about, I reached the final of a tournament in Breckenridge, Colorado. My opponent was, on the books, supposed to use me to mop up the court. I was playing well, so I thought "Well, we'll see about that." Then, during the warmup, I broke a string...in my only racket...which shows you how smart I was in my relative youth. A bunch of my buddies were watching, nobody had a spare racket, and you could hear a pin drop, except for my roommate who said "Nice going, Ace...now what?"

So here's what: I cut the string (it was one of the center mains), tied it off as best I could, and went ahead and played the damned match anyway. My strategy? No long points! Serve and volley, chip and charge, because maybe I can hit a serve and a backhand volley with this setup, but it ain't gonna cut it for groundies. And, believe it or not, it worked. I won 6-2, 1-6, 6-2. My opponent was beside himself. I don't think he actually believed he got beat by a guy with a fishing net for a string job. But hey, it happened, I swear. I believed. I told myself about how I was going to win the match anyway, and it worked. You get the point, end of sermon.