View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #33
jk175d
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0f6459 View Post
Smasher08,

After following both of your playtest threads I think I am ready to give it a shot with the gut/ cofocus 17 1.18

Before I string it up I was wondering if you could help me with the tensions. I know there is no way to know specifically for my racket, but just looking for general guidelines.

Right now I string up my OS at 65 lbs with gut. I find the gut to be just a bit too powerful after it settles in.

Since I will be crossing the gut with cofocus, should I leave the main gut tension the same? My thinking is that the crosses would help tame the power of the gut. Do you find this to be true in this setup?

If I leave the gut tension the same should the tensions be 65 lb gut mains/ 62 cofocus crosses?

I'm stringing it in these higher tensions because of my racket being an OS. I've read that polys are not meant to be strung so high. If I string cofocus up at 62 lbs, will I be killing the string? This is my first experiment with poly.

Thanks in advance
I think poly at 60 lbs is a waste. The poly can't give you it's unique benifits at tensions that high. In my opinon you will gain do additional control or spin benifits and it will feel much harsher than your full bed of gut. I'm guessing if you play an oversize racquet you don't have a very fast swing. Without a fast swing there is nothing to be gained from poly imo. I think you'd be better off trying to mitigate the power of gut mains with a soft, control oriented multi in the crosses. Head RIP Control comes to mind. One of the softest strings out there and low power. You could keep your tenision where it is now. Poly is not for everyone. unless you are willing to experiment with gut/poly down in the low 50's or lower I don't reccomend it.
jk175d is offline   Reply With Quote