View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #22
diredesire
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to diredesire

Quote:
Originally Posted by L10-11 View Post
I have the Gamma 6400 and the 5800 I realy like both of these stringers. What I did not like was the mounting system on the 5800 over the 6400. I removed the six point on the 6400 and installed it on the 5800. I have no idea why Gamma put that six point on a stringer that cost twice as much as the 6400, and is twice as crapy. The problem was the set up. .The 6400 can be set up in a vert short amount of time, but the 5800 because of the many different knobs took much longer, and I don't believe the raquet was held any better. I do like the electronic machine better than the mechanical lock out because I think you get a better string job over all.
I have been a stringer for about five years.
I'll echo this. Get the better mounting system. You will NOT regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
Do you know if the SC (Self Centering) version of the 6-point is worth the $100? On paper it looks good. Does anyone have any experience with it?
A thousand times, yes. I have the 2pt mount, and I like it. I had racquets pop out of the mount at first... it was... not something I expected from such an expensive machine. The levers are also oversized compared to something like a NEOS, and they can be bumped during stringing. Not the best 2 pt mount I've used, but it's sturdy and solid. I think i'd get the SC 6pt if I had the choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisCJC View Post
Agree.

Lot's of newbies think electronic is better but the Stringway drop-weight with TRUE constant pull to the correct tension AT ANY ANGLE is superior in my not so humble opinion. Electronic motors wear faster than a steel weight on the end of a steel bar with steel cams in the interior of the tension device. Nothing as consistent as heavy metal and gravity. For $, this is best machine on market.
If you get the stand-up non-DW version, i'll agree. The DW version has its problems, but the tensioner is truly a pleasure to work with. Mounting system can be slow, and clamps can have excessive (IMO) drawback. I don't like pumping a weight, either. I have a bum shoulder.

OP: As far as overall take on the 5800, the tensioner is waaaay too far away from the frame, and requires a butt-load of string if you want to string one ahead (especially on the last string!). Traditional 6 pt mount from gamma leaves a lot to be desired. I HATED that the self centering mount was not avaialable on the 5800 when I got mine, but it really reduces the gap between the 5800 and 8800, so I understand why. Tensioner and features are nice, string measurer is nice (but I never use it, because I always have to pull so much extra string to reach the tensioner. I even MOVED the tensioner as close as possible to the turn table so it wouldn't hit when rotated, and it's still far. 2 pt mount can be better, but it is what it is.

Turn table brake is EXCELLENT, clamps are so-so for the price. I'd upgrade to switch action bases at the very least, but that puts you in Star5 range, IMO. If it were me, I'd either spring the extra K for the Star5, or get a used babolat, or go cheaper, for one of the ~$1K total machines. (6004 with wise, or something like that). Customer service is great to fall back on, but if you get a device that works as designed, you rarely need it. if you've been stringing 5 years, it's likely you can troubleshoot your own issues.

Mod Qs/Concerns/etc? E-mail me! (please make return/profile e-mail is valid!)
diredesire is offline   Reply With Quote