View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
krosero
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slice serve ace View Post
after making first 2 1st serves in the 2nd set, becker's 1st serve pct was healthy 61 %. than he missed 15 1st serves in a row
that is the longest streak of missed 1st serves i ever saw (so far) ; mcenroe " boris is serving at what, 15 pct this set?...no, wait, it's 12.5 pct...i gave him too much credit there"
after that, becker's pct to the end of the match was again 61 %. so he basically served 61 % minus that black hole of 15 missed serves
Hard to believe his serve went so far off the rails. Makes his 100% winning rate on 1st serve in that set deceptive, since there were probably just a handful of good first serves.

Becker missed 9 straight even when he beat Agassi in '95.

Borg and Lendl each missed 10 in a row in USO finals, Borg in '80, Lendl in '88.

Quote:
break points

sampras 2/4 ( 0/1, 1/2, 1/1 )
becker...0/6 ( 0/0, 0/4, 0/2 )
As you know he never broke Sampras at Wimbledon. In '95 he didn't even earn a break point, and in '97 he went 0-for-3.

(And talking about bad serving, NBC had him serving at 27% in the first set of that match.)

Quote:
courier after the match "...i faced 2 first serves today..."
Interesting! I haven't seen the match in forever, but I still remember how well Courier played, and how Sampras was just better in the end -- though he had to produce some very fine tennis to beat him.

Quote:
sampras 53 %, but 68 % in a second set! and he almost lost it...
Incredible to think that 68% of his serves did not come back and he came so close to losing the set (had to win the tiebreak 8-6).
krosero is offline   Reply With Quote