View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #30
Posture Guy
Professional

Send a message via ICQ to Posture Guy Send a message via Skype™ to Posture Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
Good lord.

Whoever heard of someone getting an injury from Yoga?

I've now done three yoga classes over the last 10 days, and I seem to have messed up my foot. See, you have to do all of this stuff barefoot. And you have to do things like down dog (palms on floor, butt in air, feet on toes). I seem to have sprained my big toe -- must have been too aggressive with my down dog.

Sheez.
I've actually had a number of clients who came in to see me after suffering an injury in a yoga class. It's like any group fitness class, the instructor can only closely watch so many people, and it's impossible in that setting to assess each person individually and prescribe for them unique exercises and poses best suited to their issues and abilities. And it's difficult to correct form on 20 people in the same room at the same time.

in any given fitness class, no matter how good the basic material or instructor, about a third of the class will derive great benefit from it, a third will get so-so results, and a third will have an average to negative experience. Just the nature of a bell curve.

If you really want to utilize yoga as a tool to get better, I'd recommend finding a great instructor and taking individual lessons, and ask them to construct a routine specifically for YOU, then teach you how to do it correctly to insure your form is good and that you're not hurting yourself doing any of the exercises. Then do it at home on your own on a regular basis, going back in for re-checks and exercise routine adjustments.
Posture Guy is offline   Reply With Quote