View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #12
slice serve ace
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosero View Post
Hard to believe his serve went so far off the rails. Makes his 100% winning rate on 1st serve in that set deceptive, since there were probably just a handful of good first serves.
yes, only 8 points. that is why it is always best to see total service pts percentage

Quote:
Interesting! I haven't seen the match in forever, but I still remember how well Courier played, and how Sampras was just better in the end -- though he had to produce some very fine tennis to beat him.
courier played suprising amount of serve&volley points on his 2nd serve. i didn't count, but it must have been around 8, maybe 10 times he did that. he was very unpredictable with it, and succesful too. won him some important points. he, or his coach, must have taken notes how pete's slice return troubled agassi, so he decided to suprise him with this tactic. he would get in real close and just punch away sliced return. i think sampras read him only twice or so, and returned with topspin for a winner.

Quote:
Incredible to think that 68% of his serves did not come back and he came so close to losing the set (had to win the tiebreak 8-6).
lost only 4 points on serve the entire set. that's the beauty of tennis scoring sistem

Quote:
I found one more -- Sampras missed 15 in a row against Chesnokov in Davis Cup.

It started at 3-all in the first set (which Sampras went on to lose 6-3) and ended in his opening service game of the second set.

thanks for that. there must be a reason why sampras served at such low percentage in 1995. his year pct must have been 8-10 % less than he normally does. his service motion and ball toss look the same as always. so one must wonder, what was the reason, balls, strings?
slice serve ace is offline   Reply With Quote