View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #41
r2473
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
Personally, I think last year was basically too much snow.
All my friends with houses up around SodaSprings spent more days digging out than actually riding.
Once you get a nice 10' base, there is only need for 2' of powder during the nights, more is not better. Oh, skiers might need 4', if they ride old narrow skis, but my Ride169 is 62cm wide at the waist, and I get that pow feeling in 1' of freshies.
More of anything is NOT necessarily better.
Depends on the type of snow Lee.

And where are you finding these 10-foot (120") bases and 2-4 foot overnight powder dumps? I think we "only" average a 60"-80" base at Snowbird. Last year was ridiculous and it was over 100" most of the time. And 1-foot (basically up to your calf) is a pretty decent powder dump in my book. 2-feet (around your knees) is about all you ever really want. We can ski in snow up to our waist around here, which really is too much, even with the light "cotton powder" we get.

Alta/Snowbird area is the greatest natural ski snow making machine in the world. It really is amazing. The first time I witnessed it (10 years ago) I was blown away. I've never seen anything like it. The snow is "dry". If you've never seen snow like this before, you will be amazed. Heck, even on the other side of the mountain (so Deer Valley, Canyons, etc; Park City's resorts) it is not at all comparable to what happens in Little Cottonwood Canyon. Big Cottonwood is close (Solitude, Brighton, etc), but not the same. The type of snow is the same (or basically the same) but the 500" volume in Little Cottonwood is more than we get anywhere else in the area.

And as a guy that loves to ski and not party anymore, I'm really happy that most people still go to Colorado instead of Utah. Keeps my lines short.

Snowbird receive more than 500 inches (1270 cm) of snowfall per year, with a single storm capable of producing over 100 inches (254 cm) due to lake effect enhancement from the Great Salt Lake, making it the second greatest area of snowfall in the mainland United States (next to the Cascades). Unlike the humid and wet snow of the Cascades near the Pacific Ocean, arid Great Basin conditions produces very dry and powdery snow.

Last edited by r2473 : 09-30-2011 at 08:30 AM.
r2473 is offline   Reply With Quote