View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #66
Kevin T
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Player View Post
Yeah I feel like a lot of people don't lift as much now or something if they are this anti supplement. I have a good friend who works at an NFL training facility and he has always been a fitness freak and has always trained with certain supps. I can see if you play tennis 2-3 times a week at a medium pace and that's it, not needing or taking supplementation seriously.

Pro tennis players actually take a lot of things that are far beyond what we would need. There are all kinds of things out there that help you focus, give you more sustained energy, etc. The majority are illegal, but they are being used all the time.

As for creatine. I know it works for me. You can't fake having your bench go up 25 pounds in 2 weeks..BUT I also don't know how long it works for and I definitely know it is something you should cycle. I also personally don't take it anymore. I did in the past and respected what it did for me, but I don't see it as something I need, especially as a guy who wants to stay light on the courts and not get bulky from water retention and gains.

It's not impossible to perform at your peak without supplements. As I said, I played college football for four years using nothing but a post-workout 2:1 carb/protein shake. I'm now 37 yo and have ruptured my L4-5 twice but still keep plugging along. I basically do crossfit-style workouts these days, 4-5 days/week. I play more squash than tennis these days (which is far more taxing than tennis ever was for me and I play 5.0 in California), probably two days per week at a pretty high level. I ski as much as I can in the winter and trail run 1-2 days/week. I go about 6'3" 225# these days, not bad given I have a 3yo and 1 1/2 yo. Like I said, there's not a soul on here working out as hard as college and Olympic athletes. There's also plenty of guys in our prisons that would put us all to shame eating nothing but USDA commodity leftovers. Legal supplements can be a piece of the pie, albeit a very small piece compared to diet/training/rest and recovery. If we're talking illegal supplements, that's a whole other ballgame.