View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 05:19 AM   #512
Benhur
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpinhitter View Post
I have to give you credit for recognizing what most, who never saw him play, don't, that Courier did have a great forehand. Now here's the acid test, what do you think about Courier's backhand?
I think his backhand gets the job done pretty well and Iíve seen him hit great shots with it. I know it has been dismissed as very inferior but I donít see that, and I don't think he would have become a top player for 3 years if it hadnít worked well for him, as he had to use it a lot. Then again, having learned tennis relatively late with a one-handed bh from the start, Iíve never been able to understand how two-handed backhands are hit. Can't do it. It feels like trying to play tennis while handcuffed, so I can't comment much on the mechanics of that mysterious shot. The most incomprehensible to me, by far, is Nadalís backhand. I like Nadal and his game allright, but his backhand looks impossibly cramped and uncomfortable to me.

Sometimes I think of two-handed backhands as a remnant from a childhood necessity. As if a child had never fully made the transition from crawling to walking. Some babies can half-crawl very fast at the age of 12-15 months, in a bouncy and complicated way that reminds me of chimps, and even after they learn how to walk, they sometimes resort back to that kind of crawling for a while if they really want to go fast and safe.
Benhur is offline   Reply With Quote