View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 03:46 AM   #44
Pneumated1
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvin View Post
If you use the short side to run the top cross and hold that top cross with a starting clamp and tie it off last your drawback is be almost nothing. Also I think tying off the top and bottom crosses only is a very good idea.

The reason you have no drawback when you tie off the top and bottom crosses after stringing is done is because the string bed is much stiffer and the mains hold your clamps in place.

Then there is ATW when you mains end at the throat. Some ATW patterns allow you to tie off the top and bottom crosses only with and you will never have a blocked hole or hard weave.

But all these methods have their downfall and there are problem anytime you do not string the racket as the manufacturer recommends.

EDIT: By the way Jason Costello told me Babolat recommends two piece for all their rackets but one piece is ok.

Irvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortun8son View Post
Running the first cross with the short side ensures that both outer mains will be at equal tension. Make sure you increase the ss length to compensate. If you forget, just tie off as usual. No biggie.
1pc vs 2pc: Per USRSA. When given the choice, pick the one that allows the crosses to be strung top to bottom.
So, Wilson and Babolat use 2pc(orATW), Prince and Dunlop flip a coin, Head no choice. There are exceptions.
Thank you both for your information. There may be variables that I'm overlooking, but if I'm thinking straight, as long as the loop starts in the head on a 16 Main frame, like my London, L2 and R2 will run back to the head, as well as every subsequent even main; therefore, I could do the one piece. I realize the opposite is true for a beginning loop in the throat on a 16 Main and a loop that starts in the head on an 18 Main frame.

Here's my question: Say I want to do a one piece but drop my cross tension 2-4lbs (like I do on my London); Could I clamp off the last main on the long side and run my first two crosses at the dropped tension, then clamp those first two crosses? Or would that influence the tension on that last main when I release its clamp? For all I know, that clamp on the last main on the long side may even be in the way. Even if I didn't clamp that last main on the long side, wouldn't I lose a little tenion anyway through friction as I jump over to that first/second cross with a one piece? I could then adjust tension on the rest of the crosses?
Pneumated1 is offline   Reply With Quote