View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #9
escii_35
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlerajm View Post
In mixed doubles, my favorite strategy is what others have described as the L formation. I park my partner extremely tight on the net. Her job is to defend the balls that come right at her. The key is to make sure that she never backs up. Lobs over her head are my responsibility -- once you get used to doing it, you'll realize that rolling diagonally backward left to right behind your partner to hit an overhead on a lob over your partner's side (when you are righthanded and playing the ad court) is actually easier than running directly backward to play an overhead on your own side.

The other key strategy: I always serve from Aussie formation in the deuce court on my serve. The reason for this is that the standard doubles formation invites the opponent to hit a lob return over my partner (forcing me to play either a backhand overhead or a high backhand volley, which is difficult). The Aussie formation effectively takes away the lob return because the opponent has to fear my overhead when they lob over my deuce court.
Shh,

Don't give away too much. The strats you are talking about are exactly what I don't want to see my opps doing.

Things which cause me to give my partner an ear full.

1. Backing up.
2. Not sliding over quick enough on a non S&V serve to defend the cross court bendy.
3. Not executing a "Money Shot".

Mentally, the best match I ever played my pard did not return a SINGLE serve from the "High-end" 4.5 guy until the second point of the MTB. We never gave up and never got down on each other even after losing the first 4 games and eating a few nasty overheads. Once we found our strat we relentless pursued it.

Last edited by escii_35 : 10-09-2011 at 12:37 PM.
escii_35 is offline   Reply With Quote