View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #1369
pvaudio
Legend

Default Performaxx Light Touch / ThunderStrings Storm 1.25

Performaxx Light Touch / ThunderStrings Storm 1.25

Stringing: This was about as middle of the road as it gets as far as stringing. Natural gut mains, and a medium stiff poly. Not buttery smooth like CoFocus or a Weisscannon offering, but not like Alien. In other words, just what you'd expect. No notching, knots were easy and it just looks nice. Strung 42/38.

Groundstrokes:
As I've said before, this setup is unique. Not groundbreaking or earth shattering, but simply unique. With that said, it's speciality does not line up with my goals. The strings feel as though they simply absorb incoming pace and redirect it with the same amount regardless. This would work if you play defensively or a pushing oriented counter-punching game. Seeing as I do neither, it doesn't work for me. Not the spin I was expecting, and the lack of flat shot ability makes it hard to close off points.
Overall: 7.5/10

Serves:
Unimpressed for the same reasons as above. There is simply just not enough solid power transfer. It makes every serve want to be super consistent. That's fine if you want to play that sort of game. Considering I serve to the corners and the body, that's not really useful for me. There isn't enough spin again to make it hard to return. It sits up on anything but the fastest of hard courts (extrapolation since 99% of recreational hard courts are slow).
Overall: 8/10

Volleys:
Interesting here. You would expect to have a lot of feel and be able to place volleys as you please, but it doesn't really work that way. You end up making more errors at the net than you expect because again the stringbed sucks the ball into it, and you need to toss it into the court. That's not good for an offensive volley. Overheads are much the same.
Overall: 7/10

Durability:
Nothing broken here and no notching. String movement and snap-back is excellent, and due to the low tension, I would say the gut will last a long time. However, the poly likely will run out of steam quickly. I can't say that without having it happen, but it's a common trend with low tension setups.
Overall: 8/10

What we have here is a very specific player's setup. If you play defense, you owe it to yourself to try this. If you are a pusher, you must put this in your racquet. If you counter-punch, fool around with the tension. If you play all-court, serve-volley or baselining, look elsewhere. This is not for the offensive player. Your shots will not penetrate with any troubling pace or action. Will they go in? Yes. Will that be relevant since your opponent can dictate the point until he makes an error? Not at all. So it's really up to your game, and because of that, I can't rate it poorly since it just didn't work for me. I'll give it a slightly higher rating as I can see players with other styles loving its characteristics.

Overall: 8.25/10

Last edited by pvaudio : 10-12-2011 at 07:06 PM.
pvaudio is offline   Reply With Quote