View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #21
Cindysphinx
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiracer55 View Post
...there isn't anything holy about FTTM. I guess we should first ask ourselves if there's any good reason for coming up with a rule for "middle" balls. Personally, I think not. If you start coming up with rules and you get a hot ball down the middle, if you have to think for even a nanosecond "Now what the Sam Hill is the 'middle ball' rule?", you've probably already lost the point. "Whoever volunteers first" is my answer to who takes the middle ball.
Totally agree.

In our match, I found myself catching balls a tad late and not being aggressive like I would like. I would hesitate and wonder if I should take that ball and where my partner was. Doesn't work.

Quote:
My take, if you have a partner who insists on FTTM and you don't like this arrangement...go find another partner. You're not gonna change her, and she's not gonna change you. You'll both be a lot happier with somebody else on the same side of the net...
I think where we've left is that I will call "Mine" for any ball I want. I actually spent a clinic drill calling "Mine" for every ball hit right to me, just to get it to be a habit.

We will be using this same approach to handling lobs over the net player, as we have different ideas about who should call a lob. She says the deep player should call it; I say net players have responsibility to call or to hit any lob going over their head.