View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #292
Up&comer
Hall Of Fame

Pacific Tough Gut full bed. Strung at 56 all around.

Stringing- Not really bad. Its stiffer than most guts, so it was a little harder to weave, but no issues.

Groundstrokes- First I want to remind you that gut is compared to gut, poly is compared to poly, etc. If I say good spin, I mean good spin for whatever kind of string I'm talking about. If I say its durable and I'm talking about gut, then it means it's a durable gut.

Without further ado...

They were really nice. Plenty of spin, low power for a gut, and a nice firm gut feel. It's not the kind of thing I would recommend for people with arm problems, but it's still really nice. Plenty of pop, placement was nice, and ample spin to control it. It was like X-one in that there was plenty of controled power, but it never lost tension and played well throughout.
Overall- 9/10

Volleys- Surprisingly good. I expected this string to be lacking in this area because it is a stiffer gut, but it performed very well. My favorite nets shots were overheads and volleys that I really knifed. I could keep the ball super low and have it skid through.
Overalll- 9/10

Serves- This is where the strings lacked a little pop compared to other guts. It still was great for flat serves and slice serves, but kicks tended to land a little short in the box and sit up into my opponent's strike zone. Not bad, but not great.
Overall- 8/10

Durability- They were good for a full gut setup. They lasted me about 4.5 hours, whereas most guts last me around 3-3.5. It held tension well, and played very consitent throughout.
Overall- 7/10

Softness- 1 being the softest, 10 being the stiffest.
Overall- 4/10

This actually performed better than I thought it would. I expected a durable but not very good playing string, but this string played really well. I still like pacific classic because it is a little softer and the price is better for me, but I would recommend this to a string breaker who loves gut.

On a side note, the person who asked for this test asked for a comparison to pacific classic. To answer that question, tough gut is stiffer, more spin friendly, lower powered, and more durable. Classic is softer, more powerful, and less durable.
Up&comer is offline   Reply With Quote