View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 06:23 AM   #42
Darkhors
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFwinds View Post
Are you a lefty? I am, and I can tell you that it's far easier to chip and charge a backhand return inside-out from the ad court (it's basically a straight-ahead shot) than it is to have to always reach wide for it in the deuce court. At the level I play (4.0) I will see serves out wide to my backhand all day if I return from the deuce court, creating easy pickings for my opponents at net. What you're saying is 100% backward from my experience. The only way this works is if your backhand stroke is as strong or better than your forehand, and you are able to set up and drive all of your backhand returns against big servers.

Like Cindy, I don't mind hitting a backhand volley; it's actually as strong or stronger than my forehand volley (common with lefties). Because I return much better from the ad side, I will always play that way when playing with a right-handed player.
I'm a lefty and I can say that my backhand is my bread and butter shot. Mainly because I'm right handed in most everything else I do, but that being said, I would MUCH rather play the deuce side and have to hit backhands crosscourt than try to hit them inside out on the AD side. I agree that chipping it back isn't super difficult, but when you're playing 4.5-5.0 like I am, you generally can't chip a return back fast enough so the net player is all over it.

Plus, it does give you forehands up the middle for volleys and groundstrokes, but we don't have a "rule" about who takes them. It's just easier to drive the ball down the middle of their court when both of you have forehands to work with. In doubles, you're going to see more serves down the T so that the returners are forced to play to the middle. This is why I like the deuce side.

Lastly, I also prefer to be able to hit my forehand returns inside out because once I establish that pattern, I can start to mix it up with DTL shots to keep them honest.

DH