View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #46
KFwinds
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhors View Post
I'm a lefty and I can say that my backhand is my bread and butter shot. Mainly because I'm right handed in most everything else I do, but that being said, I would MUCH rather play the deuce side and have to hit backhands crosscourt than try to hit them inside out on the AD side. I agree that chipping it back isn't super difficult, but when you're playing 4.5-5.0 like I am, you generally can't chip a return back fast enough so the net player is all over it.

Plus, it does give you forehands up the middle for volleys and groundstrokes, but we don't have a "rule" about who takes them. It's just easier to drive the ball down the middle of their court when both of you have forehands to work with. In doubles, you're going to see more serves down the T so that the returners are forced to play to the middle. This is why I like the deuce side.

Lastly, I also prefer to be able to hit my forehand returns inside out because once I establish that pattern, I can start to mix it up with DTL shots to keep them honest.

DH
That's great if that works for you, but I think you are an exception, especially if you have a strong backhand return and have the ability to consistently hit inside-out forehands. It also sounds like you probably see much better servers and poachers than I do at my level.

Against most of the competition I face, there really isn't anyone that can serve consistently up the T. If they go there, I just chip and charge. If the net player even flinches, I'll redirect down the line. Works very well for us lowly 4.0's...
KFwinds is offline   Reply With Quote