View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #152
jnd28
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg number one View Post
Absolutely and I give you credit for not buying into the "Borg was a TERRIBLE volleyer" sentiment that some have (many of whom only started watching tennis post 2000 or so, sorry). You made some valid points for sure MD. Thank you. I really like Hoodjem's list overall, as usual. I have a hard time getting away from McEnroe and Edberg too. This video is jaw dropping in many ways. Check it out and visualize playing these points for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHaN2h21ANs (1969 AO SF, Laver vs. Roche).
I think that this video is clear evidence of what a previous poster said regarding best "net player" versus "best volley". Nadal and some other modern players may have solid volley technique but I cannot think of any who have the instinct and movement at the net that these guys exhibit.
These guys learned to play on courts that you wouldnt want the ball bouncing on. Agree that Edberg was in their class. I also think that Emmo is getting short changed here. In his day he was thought to have the best backhand volley in the game. And that was at a time when all players had great backhand volleys. I remember that when Roche was Feds coach, Fed said that his (Roche) volleys were far better than anyone currently on tour.