View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #42
Bobby Jr
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo View Post
I'll post some match playing videos when I have them. So you can see the difference when I'm just messing around and play like something is on the line.
Good plan

Quote:
How is it possible that you can conclude I arm my shots when I'm the one hitting the ball, and the observer has no real way to measure how much stress my arm is under? I can't improve on something I'm not doing.
Because on almost all of your forehands the shoulder on your non-racquet arm doesn't go out of view - as it would if you rotated your torso or got even partially side-on.

It's not that we can't tell what stress your arm is or isn't under it's that your torso is static during most of your stroke - i.e. you're not using it. Therefore you are arming it. That's what arming the ball is.

See this for a bit of a comparison: http://youtu.be/DPOaOiHbyTc - on every forehand his torso basically rotates around until his shoulders in line with the side-lines.

Quote:
Trust me, I've had 2 shoulder surgeries. If I'm arming anything, I'll be the first to know.

I think I have flexible shoulders, elbows, and wrists, so it may appear as if I'm flinging my arm about. Like I said, if I'm arming it, I'll feel.
Having flexible shoulders is good (it worked for Sampras on his serve!) but it is besides the point here - the video shows you're hardly using your torso in your forehand, if at all. Anyone with an eye for technique will spot this - it's really evident. The fact you think and say you don't says something about your objectivity when viewing the videos you posted or assessing your strokes.

Quote:
I will always accept advice. But I can't improve on what I'm not doing.
That is good. Being genuine in accepting advice however starts with accepting that others may know more than you or be able to view something more objectively than you.

Last edited by Bobby Jr : 10-26-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Bobby Jr is offline   Reply With Quote