View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #392
Up&comer
Hall Of Fame

B5e mains/genesis thunderblast crosses 53/55

Stringing- pretty easy. The thunderblast was a little stiffer than most multis while stringing, which made everything a little easier, but I had to be careful to not wear away the textured coating.

Groundstrokes- not sure how to say this. It wasn't quite gut, but it had alot of similarities to it. It was noticeably stiffer than gut, and the sweet spot wasn't near as large, but I still got that great control I love when I hit the ball centered. It had a nice controlled power with ample spin. Again, not quite gut, but better than addiction.

It isn't by any means stiff. It's softer than addiction, but it isn't gut.
Overall- 9.5/10

Serves- this is where the lower power of this setup impeded it's progress in replacing gut. I still could hit all the serves and places I wanted, but I didn't have that little bit of extra pop and spin.
Overall- 9/10

Volleys- I repeat myself. Just stiffer and a smaller sweetspot with lower power. The low power is something I actually like on volleys, and I also like a little bit of a stiffer string bed. I don't mean poly, but I don't like the feel of something like maxim touch at net. This setup performed excellently at net. I could crunch volleys and overheads, as well as knife a volley or drop one just over the net. It also has this feel to hit when you hit the center that just feels ever so slightly different than other hybrids. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it has a cupping feeling that you generally feel with low tension poly.
Overall- 10/10

Durability- the coating on the thunderblast is already wearing off, but it looks like it will last a decent amount of time. I'll change it if it doesn't.
Overall- 8/10

Softness- 1 being the softest, 10 bring the stiffest
Overall- 4.5/10

Overall- this setup is really good. I'm not going to say it's absolutely magical, but it performs well from all areas, except net, where it is probably my favorite setup for some reason.
Overall- 9/10
Up&comer is offline   Reply With Quote