View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #39
Angle Queen
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangePower View Post
Sheesh... with that attitude, how are you ever going to manage your rating?

Better take it back, or you'll lose your membership to this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangePower View Post
Hey, didn't mean to imply anything about you and your rating - was just poking fun at AngleQueen and the board in general... eveyone is so obsessed with rating when really it's just an artificial construct designed only to ensure competitive matchups for recreational play.
Thanks, OrangePower. And no worries. I had a good laugh over your reply. My original comment was also meant as a dig to those who try to "manage" their NTRP. I find that practice silly, sad and a bit infuriating.

I can see a bit of g4's troubles with the lack of similarity across the various Sections. I, too, am probably of the "make it the same" everywhere camp...but realistically understand that differences do (and probably should) exist. I mean, it is called the National Tennis Rating Program. I never used to understand ESRs but given the vastly different playing climates (both natural and man-made) that exist across the country, I can roll with the idea of "seasons" that cross the calendar divide.

It's the abuses of said system, though, that I think are what rankles people most. But bottomline, I think it does what it's supposed to do -- give similarly rated players a competitive match. And I think that remarkable given the number and skill-level ranges of players involved.

Just my $1. Inflation, ya know.

All that said, I'm awaiting the YER as well. They come out around the end of Nov (as best I can recall) and it's always a mad scramble to re/assemble a Winter Mixed Team that begins the first week of January. And I'll venture this, regardless of what happens to me, I doubt the folks I lost to, in the leagues that count ...will remain 3.5s.