View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #52
OrangePower
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
I'd be happy to tell you what I think of your proposal, but I am not sure what it is. Can you bullet-point it, please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian2 View Post
Cindy, I don't know if you meant to sound snarky, or it just happened to come out that way, but g4 was quite specific in his posts. I see no reason to bullet-point his ideas... the jist of it is obvious: he questions the lack of "standardization" in USTA approach to NTRP ratings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
No, no snark intended. I guess I just didn't follow what he is proposing. I got snippets, but mostly it sounded like to me that there should be a ban if someone plays under a fake identity. Yeah. Sure. Whatever. I can get behind that.
I'm with Cindy here... not sure what the specific proposals are that g4 has in mind. "Standardization" is too general. We know some things are not possible to standardize because the sections do not all offer the same leagues and the same calendar.

So far I've gleaned two specific proposals that g4 has made:

1. Ban someone playing under a false identity, or other blatent fraud.

Ok, I agree.

2. Mandate that Singles league results count towards NTRP.

Well, this is more tricky. Understand that I don't have a personal stake in this, since Norcal does not offer a Singles league. So if the majority wants Singles to count towards NTRP, hey, I'm fine with that.

But here would be my hypothetical argument against it, from the perspective of USTA:

One of the goals of NTRP is to enable correlation of ratings across sections. The representatives of a section at Nationals are used a benchmark for that section, and then adjustments are rippled across the section in part based on how that section compared at Nationals to other sections. Since not every section offers a Singles league, counting it in NTRP would mean that comparing ratings across sections is not apples-to-apples. By the way, this is also the probably reason why Combo results don't count towards NTRP.

You may not agree with this reasoning, but at least if we focus on specific propositions we can have a reasonable debate on the merits. But just saying we should "standardize" is too broad for discussion.
OrangePower is offline   Reply With Quote