View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
Bud
Bionic Poster

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysImproving View Post
It always happens to someone else, then it happens to you. The one time I forgot to stretch before and voila--calf strain.

Yes, felt like a tennis ball hitting the back of my calf. No tennis ball in sight.

Doc says one month until tennis again. That's fortunate, could have been 3 mos. Or an Achilles tear that needed surgery. On crutches now--which are a pain--and can only put a little weight on my foot after 3 days. Really hating stairs.

Did Ice and elevation 24 hrs after but in retrospect should have not gone to work at all the next day and rested and iced the thing. No swelling or bruising so far, but damn, when muscle fibers strain or tear it's still not fun. Have a nice prescription-strength painkiller, but liquor is better,

Gonna try some Capsacin and heat and gentle stretching in a few days. Thinking about prevention in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveewee View Post
same "whiffle bat" thing happened to me. Big pain for days. was skeptical about Physical Therapy but am so glad I went. Back on the court in around 3 weeks just taking volleys. Rallying again in 4. Full recovery in 4 1/2.
My doubles partner had the same thing happen during one of our matches. He stopped playing a point thinking a tennis ball from another court smacked him in the calf. He finished the set, slightly limping.

Turns out it was a muscle tear and he was out for 4-6 weeks.

Good luck to you both
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote