View Single Post
Old 07-12-2004, 03:01 PM   #14
Datacipher
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Patrick
Datacipher,
Changing racquets mid-match? I wouldn't put it past Andre circa 1990, what a talent only he could pull stuff like that off. It's funny to see how well he did at the French early in his career with virtually no clay warm-ups. Ditto Wimbledon.
Heh, that's why I wouldn't put a spontaneous racquet change past him either though I don't know if that's what happened. LOL, Bollettieri, in his book, describes Andre's 92 Wimbly prep like this....

"A week later, in mid June, only a few days before the start of Wimbledon, my phone rang at 2 in the morning. I knew who it was before i picked it up...."Nick, what the hell are you doing?" said Andre. "I'm not doing anything," I said. "Coach, do you think we should practice some before Wimbldeon?" "Yeah" I said "I don't think it would be a bad idea.".....I asked where he wanted to practice....he suggested a tennis club in Boca Raton.... as soon as we arrived...we played 18 holes....at about 4 in the afternoon, Andre said he was ready to start hitting tennis balls. He hadn't hit a lick since the FO. We found 2 hard courts in a private condo development. They were painted green, so we pretended they were grass courts at Wimbledon. Andre got on the court and hit with Raul and Seguso for about 45 min. One of the amazing things about Andre was that he could go for weeks, or even longer, without hitting a ball, then pick up a racquet and start hitting just as well as if he had played the previous day...."What do you think coach? Should we practice more?" "Shit, I think you're ready." Andre agreed "Shit, I"m ready." he said. "Let's go on over there.".... We flew to England the next day.....a reporter asked "are you excited about Wimbledon?""Yeah, I"m really looking forward to it," Andre said. "How have you been preparing for it?" "I've been in Boca Raton," Andre said, "playing on grass courts for the past ten days. You have to get used to grass." "How do you like it?" someone asked. "it's a great surface," Andre said and turned and winked at me.....I didn't believe we had the slightest chance at Wimbledon. After 1 day of practice!
Datacipher is offline   Reply With Quote