View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #32
The Wreck
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavna View Post
To be clear it's the way title IX is implemented and used is the problem...my daughter is at a D1 school in Maryland playing Lacrosse and choose that over tennis (she had offers for both) so I think title IX is needed and i love it. But the admins implement it in such a way it's usually the men's non rev teams that suffer.....all the reasons given above all lead back to football having 85 scholarships and if your team sucks and not bringing in $$$$ other sports suffer and the men's sports get to go first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennishacker View Post
Someone explain to me why football needs 85 scholarships?
The problem with Title IX is that they require an equal number of scholarship to be given to both men and women. There are more male athletes at almost every school, so it's not really fair.

Yeah, football getting 85 full scholarships seems ridiculous, but it is the only sport (outside of certain basketball schools) that actually generates revenue. So in that respect, they deserve it.

But those 85 scholarships severely throw off the balance between men's and women's scholarships. So in most every other sport, women get full scholarships and guys can only get half.

It still makes no sense to me why they'd cut men's tennis and not both programs.