Thread: Mamba Tennis
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #47
mad dog1
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsmkenpo View Post
Yeah, I have played Iontec, Poly premium, Black spin, Black mamba, Black Mamba Penta Twisted and Spin Monster.

Iontec is petty unique it is a prestretched poly but still soft and low powered with a large emphasis on control without the need for a lot of topspin to keep the ball in play. The string kind of makes your racquet feel like you are hitting with the control of a denser string patterned racquet while maintaining a soft feeling string bed. No poly that I have ever played really feels like it. It is a unique string that players will either love or hate.

Spin Monster is much livelier than Iontec, it offers more power and spin, the extra spin is what gives the control with this string. If you have the racquet head speed and hit with a lot of topspin you can hit a really heavy ball with this string. It is not as heavily textured as the various Black Mamba strings, I would call it more shaped than textured. I usually have to restring with most polys after a long match or a hitting session but spin monster doesn't seem to go dead very fast or become a surprise rocket launcher next time you hit with it.

If you are more of an all court player or a flat ball striker you may prefer the control and feel of Iontec, if you are an aggressive base liner with a lot of racquet head speed and topspin strokes you will probably prefer Spin Monster or Black Mamba Penta Twisted over Iontec.
thanks for such a detailed comparison! this is awesome! i might have to order a set of Spin Monster to try. I just love IonTec. I don't find a lack of power from it, but i definitely think it's just middle of the road in terms of power for polys. for a poly i think it really excels in the feel and control department which i really value. i just can't hit w/ strings that don't have any feel. i think the control comes from the amazing feel rather than huge spin potential as you mentioned although i can get some really good spin from it as well. not Tour Bite levels of spin, but still very good spin. i wouldn't mind a little more spin or power so Spin Monster might work well for me. i tried Penta Twisted and it just didn't work at all for me. just didn't get a feel nor did i get any more spin. i far preferred Penta over Penta Twisted. i also love that IonTec is available in reels which Spin Monster is not unfortunately.

btw, did you string both IonTec and Spin Monster at the same tensions? what tensions did you use? i'm stringing IonTec in my Vantage BC20 at 51.5/49 and in my PS85 at 47.5/46.

also have you tried IonTec Hexa? if so, can you share how it compares to IT and Spin Monster?

Last edited by mad dog1 : 12-01-2011 at 03:53 PM.
mad dog1 is offline   Reply With Quote