View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #57
TennisCoachFLA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoben View Post
Congratulations to her as I see she made it to the finals.

The other girl in the finals is one awesome player, the likes of which I've never seen before. I had an opportunity to watch her onetime at a local NorCal section tourney. She has a very aggressive game...the one time I watched her, she almost never played past the baseline but inside and taking the ball early. I predict the outcome in the latter's favor.
http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&c...1t:429,r:5,s:0

She won the 12s. Now lets hope some coach has the guts to change her grip. Someone should send her coach this from Robert Lansdorp:

"The foundation of the forehand is the grip. One of the biggest problems in American junior tennis is the poor foundation so many young players have because of their extreme grips.

Under the handle, extreme western grips are incredibly common in high level junior tennis. Kids have great success early in their careers because they can hit topspin and get a lot of balls in play. If the ball is high and not too fast, these kids actually look pretty good.

The limitations don't show up until later, in the older age divisions or when a good young player first tests himself in professional tennis. Now these same kids suddenly don't look so great. They have severe problems handling the pace in the pro game, especially when the ball is low and skidding.

But nobody talks about these problems. Kids hold the rackets with the extreme grip and think it's alright. Nobody stands up and says that teaching extreme western grips are actually ruining these kids.

Nobody explains to the parents that if you take your 8-year old to a coach who let's the kid hit with an extreme grip, you're already up the creek - you just won't know it for another 8 years. This is what I call the disaster of teaching methods in American junior tennis."

Last edited by TennisCoachFLA : 12-03-2011 at 09:45 AM.