View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #62
TennisCoachFLA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_Smith View Post
The really sad thing TCF, is that we know the coach will say "oh, but this way she will have success now and then we will change it later when we need to"

Those of us with any knowledge now that a)this is damn hard to change the later it goes on and b)there's no reason not to have "correct" technique in the first place as you can still be successful in younger age groups.

This video of Richard Gasquet from the '99 Petit As in Tarbes shows how similar his technique was at 11 to now. You see the same with Rafa, Henin etc. At 11-12 their technique is already formed, barring minor changes and tweaks as they grow, but the basic shapes are the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoPFV...eature=related

The only player I know who made wholesale changes to technique later in their career was Juan Carlos Ferrero who totally reworked his serve at age 20.

I'll quite happily fly out if they'd like the help (my expenses aren't too high!)

Cheers
I hear you Ash. How any coach or even a tennis parent could look at the forehands at the .40 second, 1:08, 1:27, and 1:40 marks and allow her to use that grip and swing pattern is beyond me.

Imagine when she gets to the 16s and some 6 foot Russian girl is blasting balls at her and she tries to respond with that stroke. She either quits tennis or gets injured.

Your video is awesome. His talent jumps out at you, even at age 13. His feet are amazing.

Last edited by TennisCoachFLA : 12-10-2011 at 02:13 PM.