View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #21
Colpo
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrowagen View Post
Oh yeah, Mark Dickson with the Völkl. It was weird; presumably almost as though some guy in a trenchcoat, hat, and Wayfarers met him an alley somewhere, saying in a mysterious foreign accent, "Heer, Buddy: take zees tenees racquets!" I wonder what the real backstory on that sponsorship was (although, IIRC, Völkl Tennis USA was HQ'ed in North Carolina in the mid-80's...)
Well then, that just might explain alot. And the Servo Soft's buttery feel and slingin' shot response may have also played a role in Dickson's preference. It does confound, though. Dickson, if I recall, was an off-brand maven, the #3 man on Jockey's tenniswear totem pole, and the only Saucony sponsoree that the company outfitted with a white-on-white shoe (do the math, yuk-yuk-yuk). I guess one advantage of the web is that you could probably locate Dickson today and just ask him via an e-mail. And while we're at it, one could ask him about his extraordinarily drawn-out pre-serve ball-bouncing routine. Will supplement as work allows, Dicksonophiles... .
Colpo is offline   Reply With Quote