View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #25
Kevin T
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colpo View Post
Man, those were the days! Charly Steeb with an autograph frame! Hoo-rah! Different times! Would you now go buy a J.I. Chela autograph? Steeb had a nifty ranking and did some special things at the Davis Cup level, but auto frames back then were akin to playoff-advancement guarantees from Patrick Ewing...let's call it commonplace.

Re: the USSR and Volkl, I might have been initially under the impression that Volkl was a Soviet brand. I recall they'd equip the Soviets from "tip to grip" -- shoes, clothes, racquets of course. When Chesnokov came out of nowhere to knock off Wilander at the '86 French, I craved his game, with his racquet a close second; some odd-looking, deep-red and white midplus with a plastic throatpiece and a virtual monoshaft. Exotic! Not readily available! And to think that years earlier, the American southerner Mark Dickson played Volkl -- just did not compute.
I thought the same thing, RE Volkl being Eastern European/Soviet. Too funny. Red racquets for the red army. I believe Chesnokov was the first pro I saw with a Volkl (was just getting into pro tennis at that time).

Charlie Steeb/Stich v Agassi/Courier Davis Cup '91 is a fond high school tennis memory.