View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 05:12 AM   #33
BMC9670
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1Coach View Post
Let me verify his age , I thought he said 44 I may have got that wrong , as for competing , you misunderstood , he ran a few times demonstrating what needed to be done ,trust me No stop watch needed this guy is still extremely quick.

Watching him from the side his strides look like a horses , also his head was as still as a models on a walkway while at full speed .

The focus has been on the driving for the 1st 12-15 meters , with the arms doing the work with very little upper body movement , I never realized how much technique was involved in running.
Yes. Top runners have refined technique as well on top of a ton of natural ability - mostly having to do with keeping everything in a straight line (ie - no wasted movement) and staying relaxed. The kinetic chain is also involved - the mechanics of stride and use of the arms, etc.

You're right about being quick. A modern world-class 800m is considered a long sprint. These guys are fast and running 8 consecutive 13 second 100s to cover 800m. They can certainly run a single 100 somewhere in the mid to high 10 seconds. Even at his older age, if this guy is still in shape, he probably makes running look effortless.

Last edited by BMC9670 : 12-22-2011 at 05:15 AM.