View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #2216
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

OK, here is my review in the TW format of the Genesis Thunder Blast 16.

Strung it up a few days ago. The string feels limp but plays much stiffer than you would think. Has that gluey smell that I adore. It can be a little tricky keeping the string from tangling up out of a reel. Stringing it was a breeze, I forgot how fun full multi string jobs are. Gave it Ye Olde ball bounce test. It was very muted and felt great in the sweet spot but there were some vibrations outside of the sweet spot. Coming from poly hybrids, I could tell it has less spin potential

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge 17 Mains(52#)/Genesis Thunder Blast 16 Crosses(56#)
Racket: Pro Kennex 7G (this is different than the others tested in the Babolat PST+)
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Low/Medium powered multi
Feel: Terrific
Tension maintenance: Held fine according to RacquetTune for the 4 sets I played with it. I ended up cutting it out to try some softer setups.
Price: $9.95/set or $99.95/reel
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: I could tell on the first few hits that I was going to like this even though I was playing in heavy overcast conditions. The string has a roughness to it that allows it to provide pretty good spin for a multi. This string was pretty good for just about every shot.

Serve/Return of Serve: Serves were good with this but I could not get enough pace to generate any aces. The previous 2 matches I was getting close to double digits in the ace count so this was a little disappointing but the conditions were very heavy. Returns were hard to gauge as my opponent was having a good serving day and I was forced to chip quite a few serves back. I did blast a few weak 2nd serves though so I'd have to say it is a pretty good string for returns.

Strokes: Good spin on both wings. Depth control was OK definitely not as good as poly strings. I'm not really used to full multis anymore, so I had to dial back my strokes a little bit. The slice backhand was decent but I seemed to be floating a few back because my opponent was getting me out of position quite a bit.

Volleys: Volleys are money with this string. I think Up&Comer said it best, these stiffer multis just seem to volley really well.

Touch shots: I had to dial myself back NOT to try so many drop shots. This string just lends itself to hitting them.

Softness: This is not a multi I'd recommend for sore arms. Since I'm using a different racket now, I can't make a direct comparison with other multis but I'd say it is around the stiffness of Babolat Addiction. I've got a little bit of elbow soreness this morning.

Tension: If I had to try it again, I might up the tension to 62. When I hit the ball long, it was not by much.

Durability: After 2 sets, I'm seeing little fraying. The string looks thick for a 16g so I'm guessing durability would be pretty good. Not sure if I'll keep playtesting this or cut it out due to the elbow issue I mentioned just above this. I ended up cutting this out after 4 sets just to be proactive.

Movement: String movement was very little for a multi. The anal retentive type would be happy with this string (cough cough KCraig).

Conclusion: This is probably the best mid-priced multi along with Mantis Comfort Synthetic for those that prefer low powered multis. Both play great but they are at opposite ends of the stiffness spectrum. UPDATE: I wrote this before I tried Prince Premiere Attack (PPA) 16 which is superior to both Thunder Blast and Mantis Comfort. PPA is similarly priced by the set but much more expensive in reel form though.

UPDATE ON NEW WHITE VERSION OF THIS STRING:

I played 5 sets last night with the new white Genesis Thunder Blast 16. The first 2 sets were singles against a left hander on clay in the wind. The last 3 sets were doubles with all right handers on a hard court under the lights at a different club with light wind. So I got to test it under 2 very conditions. BTW, I strung it at 60 pounds for an apples to apples comparison with the black version.

The white version is definitely softer than the black. It still has that crisp feel though. I don't think it is quite as good as net as the black version but I liked it better on all other shots. The strings do move around like crazy but that is the case with most multis. This is another string that could benefit from a slightly lower tension I think since it is low powered with lots of control. I have 1 more set left. If Bad Call does not take it, I may try stringing it up at 54# to compare it with the DM at the equivalent tension.

Last edited by mikeler : 05-09-2013 at 11:36 AM.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote