I'm saddened to hear that, he was good enough to help me pick out my first stringing machine. He was very generous with his time and advice (as are the posters here).
here are some tips that haven't been posted:
- to measure string, measure your wing span
- for your own racquets, put a small dot the center of the head of the throat. Some racquets already have this marked. I also like to mark the holes to skip.
- for mains, string two on one side of center then two on the other
- to push through blocked holes, cut string diagonally to form a point. Putting a little lip balm on the point also helps. Never use an awl.
- when weaving crosses one-ahead, after tensioned, push untensioned weaved string next to tensioned string to look for mis-weaves.