View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #87
krosero
Legend

The von Cramm interview I referred to took place when he arrived in New York on August 23rd aboard the Queen Mary. Excerpt from the NY Times:

The Baron was a very confident young man as the huge ship moved up the river toward the pier. He was more than anxious for a return meeting with Donald Budge, and is looking forward with keen interest to the national singles championships at Forest Hills next month. There, if all goes well, the two will battle it out in the final.

Baron Uses English Accent

The odd part about von Cramm’s confidence is that he rates Budge as perhaps a better player than Fred Perry. Speaking with a clipped English accent, Oxford style, that was as surprising as the statement he made, the Baron said:

“I think that perhaps Budge is a superior player to Perry. Fred is a remarkably steady performer but your American boy is capable of reaching far greater heights of play.”

As for his anticipated meeting with his conqueror at Wimbledon and in the Davis Cup interzone final, the blond, good-looking Baron declared rather ruefully that Budge would have the advantage on him in playing in his own country and under more familiar conditions.

“But,” he said, “I feel very fit. I really had intended making my debut in America last season but pneumonia spoiled my plans. Now I am here at last and I want to make my visit a memorable one.”

The 28-year-old German has neither illusions nor delusions of grandeur. Although confident of his own talents and of his ability to turn his tennis into cash, von Cramm stated very flatly that he never would turn professional and that “they won’t catch me no matter what they propose.”

...When Budge and von Cramm clashed in the final and deciding match of the Davis Cup interzone play, they divided the first four sets and the German had a 4-1 lead in the last one. Eventually the American won the set, 8-6, but there was some curiosity as to whether or not the Reich racquet-swinger had believed himself on the brink of victory.

“Not a bit of it,” he declared. “Budge played poorly when I broke service on him and I knew that the reaction would inspire him to greater heights. I had hit my peak and was due for a slump myself. I was tired at Wimbledon that time, but Don played so magnificently that I doubt that I could have stopped him anyway.”
krosero is offline   Reply With Quote