View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #1084
borg number one
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
One thing I couldn´t understand, at that time, was Borg didn´t enter a few WCT events, were there were no restrictions at all - and he certainly would be more than welcome-.

As a matter of fact, Borg and Hunt were on the same shore, both fighting the stupid hegemonist attempts of the ITF ( which run the Slams and the Gran Prix ) led by Chartrier.

Do you know why? after all, Hunt was all for free enterprise, isn´t it? and some WCT matches with, relatively low pressure on him, would habe kept Borg´s body, hand and mind in shape enough to wait for rules to change in 1983 or 1984.

I'm not certain Kiki, but I really think Borg was most focused on continuing to try and win majors (US Open, Wimbledon, FO). That had become his big focus by 1981 already. Yet, imagine Borg doing that, while he watched his big rivals McEnroe, Connors (who took over #1 again in 1982 from McEnroe), Lendl, face off at the majors. I do like that idea though. If he had done that, imagine how the officials at Wimbledon and elsewhere would have looked as they insisted that Borg could not play in the main draw without qualifying? Back to this match in 1982, you see Borg playing some very good tennis against McEnroe, who should be considered one of the greatest indoor players ever. Recall that Borg took out McEnroe at the Masters too at NY's MSG in both Jan. 80 and Jan. 81, winning both of those YEC (5-0 vs. Lendl, Connors, and McEnroe combined during those two tourneys). That was considered by most to be the biggest proze (4th biggest tournament behind Wimbledon, the FO, and the US Open). Many don't realize just how great of an indoor player Borg was.