View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #64
tennis5
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadof10s View Post
I think you are mistaken of why we have few superstars now. Our wonderful athletic children are drawn to other sports, tennis is down on the list in USA but is right after soccer in some other countries. Lots of players get support in USA, I know coaches who train them for free and make sure the USTA knows who they are. You are shooting the wrong target, the target should be trying to get great little athletes to play tennis but why would they? They can go down to the corner and play basketball with their friends and they see famous basketball players on TV all the time. Like I said coaches who trained our kids and others look out for prodigies and they get support. Sorry to say this but most of the children who would have a chance to the lions you want may be playing different sports. Europeans love tennis more than we do so they can we can convince their children to play it more than we can do that. Kids good enough to be top professionals would not give up anyway and I bet their coach or parents would tell the USTA about them and they would end up supported. Just because a player aims for college would not mean they would be good enough to be top professionals because their talent would become obvious at a young age.
I know your reference was basketball.

But, let us take those same kids...

Perhaps in Florida or California, you can go down the corner and play tennis.

But, in the NE, you can't go down the corner and find a free, open, indoor court. It doesn't exist.