View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #2486
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

Angry Less than 4 sets of singles and it broke!

Here is my review in the TW format of the Solinco Vanquish 16.

Strung it up on Sunday night. The string seemed fairly normal for a multi except that it had plenty of coil memory, almost as much as the Wilson gut I had just strung. I did not have any issues stringing it up. I did the old ball bounce test and it felt like a standard multi.

Tension it is strung: 60 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge 17 Mains(52#)/Genesis Thunder Blast 16 Crosses(56#)
Racket: Pro Kennex 7G (this is different than the others tested in the Babolat PST+)
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Medium
Feel: Terrible
Tension maintenance: It does not last long enough to worry about this. RacquetTune (RT) showed a 6.7% tension loss after a few days and 1 set of play.
Price: $12.50/set
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: This is an above average multi with below average durability.

Serve/Return of Serve: Served fairly well with it. Second serves had plenty of kick for a multi. Couldn't be too aggressive on returns without making errors.

Strokes: About average spin on both wings for a multi. Depth control was OK and at times I could flatten out strokes successfully. Slices were pretty good with it.

Net Game: It's good for volleys but not great.

Touch shots: Terrible. I could not place drop shots or volleys at all.

Softness: The string is probably middle of the pack for softness.

Tension: Perhaps a pound or two higher may have been better, but the tension was pretty close to ideal for me. It was hotter out than normal so I think the tension would have been perfect if we had normal January temps.

Durability: After about 3 sets, I was noticing some wear at a number of intersections. I was hoping this would just fray. Towards the end of the 4th set, the coating came off like MCS and just a few strands were left. That held for a few more games and then broke at a very inopportune time at the end of the 3rd set.

Movement: The strings did not move much the first set, but after that the mains moved all over the place but the crosses stayed locked in pretty well.

Conclusion: I can't recommend this string due to the lack of durability. This is one of the worst ones I've tried so far in that respect. The only reason I tolerated the poor durability of MCS last year was to protect my arm. This string has nothing that stands out so well that I'm willing to restring every 2 matches or less.

Last edited by mikeler : 01-20-2012 at 06:43 AM.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote