View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #45
10ismom
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac10s View Post
1. I was not on a foreign tennis scholarship. 2. Not to brag, but to get into D-I, I'd play tennis 3.5 hrs a day (often on the ball machine, serves, sets with anyone and everyone) and work out for at least 1 hour after that. Thereafter: homework. 3. I had no coach. 4. I hardly played any junior tournaments (parents couldn't afford it). 5. I couldn't wait to test my skills against all players: foreign and domestic. If I failed, I only blamed myself for not working hard enough...and I LOVED the challenge. With the exception of very, very few players, I'm afraid that most of our wonderful juniors have the attitude of jaded playboys. "You want me to jump rope for how long?" "Hitting on the ball machine is boring". "I don't like practicing serves". "I hate running". "I can't concentrate for more than 1-1.5 hrs". "It's too hot; it's too hard; I don't like that drill; it's too windy; my tummy hurts". I've heard it all.. from TOP juniors.
Sorry to hear that you had such bad experience with "WHINEY" American TOP juniors. If you were one of American tennis juniors who deserved D-1 tennis programs, I am certain and (you know it) that there are lots of American junior players who work as hard in tennis, conditioning and academics for opportunity to play D-1.
The point is if they are not considered because 1. already been stereotyped that American juniors are lazy and whiney 2. college coaches go directly looking at foreign pools 3. foreign players are older, already tried pro tour now wanting to go to American colleges full ride....... eventually, there will be very few American juniors playing D-1 college tennis.

I do not think that is true in other college sports. Americans are MINORITY in college tennis!? but not in other sports!? Correct me if I am wrong (that was my previous question posted).

I believe, wholeheartedly, that there are numbers of TALENTED, DRIVEN, HARD-WORKING American junior tennis players who want to play college tennis if they are given the opportunity.
The TOP junior slackers probably believe in innate ability but not hard work to acheive their goals. They need attitude adjustment, tough love and should learn to respect their coaches!