View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #46
donnymac10s
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ismom View Post
The point is if they are not considered because 1. already been stereotyped that American juniors are lazy and whiney 2. college coaches go directly looking at foreign pools 3. foreign players are older, already tried pro tour now wanting to go to American colleges full ride....... eventually, there will be very few American juniors playing D-1 college tennis.

I do not think that is true in other college sports. Americans are MINORITY in college tennis!? but not in other sports!? Correct me if I am wrong (that was my previous question posted).
Points 1 and 2: I disagree. I don't believe that college coaches stereotype players based on nationality. The fact is that with a lot of tournaments being played, they form an opinion based on direct observation and conversation with people (other coaches) who are familiar with the players in question. Also, it's more expensive (and riskier) for a college coach to consider a foreigner. From my experience, this is usually last resort after all other suitable US candidates are reviewed and discarded. Regarding point #3: I agree - that's where things should be (and currently are) equalized. Not allow older foreigners to compete against HS graduates. Also, I believe that there are more foreigners in college tennis than other sports because college tennis is truly a global sport (unlike baseball, football or even basketball). If it's not soccer, foreigners don't usually care about other sports.

"I believe, wholeheartedly, that there are numbers of TALENTED, DRIVEN, HARD-WORKING American junior tennis players who want to play college tennis if they are given the opportunity." Help me understand this: are you saying that they must be given the opportunity AND THEN they will start working hard? Sounds a bit backwards to me...