View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #243
borg number one
Legend

Krosero, I agree that Wimbledon may have been a bit more prestigious back then than it is today, relatively speaking. I think it's still quite comfortably the "biggest tournament" of the year, though the other majors aren't too far behind perhaps. Borg equaling Perry's 3 in a row was big and then when he won four in a row, that was huge. I recall that after the epic '81 final, the commentator said something like..Bjorn Borg now has an "absolutely unique place in the history of the Game" (referring to his five titles in a row). Also, he said that he was "King of the world of tennis without a doubt..."an absolutely monumental place in the Game". Around 1980-1981, when discussions about the "greatest" player were going on, I recall that Borg, Laver, and perhaps Tilden also were discussed. I believe that in a World Tennis article, Budge said something about Tilden being able to take Borg's shots simply take them on the fly (volley them). Though I disagreed, it was interesting to think about. On the AO question, no doubt, Connors and McEnroe would be his primary rivals of course, just like they were at Wimbledon and the US Open, but not at the FO.